It is extremely important fabricators and vessel & car owners read and understand this information.
- We recommend using only IMAR Products. IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish, IMAR Strataglass Protective Cleaner, and mild soap (preferably) IMAR Yacht Soap Concentrate) on Strataglass. (We no longer recommend the use of any other products, regardless of the manufacturer’s claims.) Use of harsh cleaners like “Simple Green and Orpine” will dull the curtains quickly. Using any other product(s) void the factory warranty.
- NEVER use a wash-and-wax product on Strataglass.
- WARNING – Use of Rain-X, Pledge, or Plexus on Strataglass appears to work for a short time but then dulls the surface and presents an “Orange Peel” effect. Do not use any of these products.
- Use of cleaners, polishes, scratch removers, or any other product made for regular, uncoated vinyl will damage STRATAGLASS. Do not use these products.
- DO NOT HANDLE STRATAGLASS (OR ANY VINYL) WITH SUNSCREEN ON YOUR HANDS! This will permanently cloud the vinyl where handled.
When New: 3M Adhesive Remover may be used to remove glue left from fabrication. Final clean with IMAR Strataglass Protective Cleaner. We recommend using IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish as the final step in installation to provide a base of protection and good watershed.
For the customer: We recommend using IMAR Strataglass protective Polish every 1 to 2 months. In the interim, use IMAR Strataglass Protective Cleaner frequently.
Note: All new vinyl can easily get impressions in itself. We recommend new enclosures be left in place to the extent possible. If completely removed, enclosures must be interleaved with either acid-free paper (available from framing shops) or old sheets (the best choice) to prevent “pooling” in the glass, vinyl “seasons” over time and becomes less impressionable. Roll all curtains down and fasten in place nightly to keep perfect appearance. (Review at www.strataglass.com).
Cleaning: Flush thoroughly to cool the surface and rinse away environmental abrasives. Wash with IMAR Yacht Soap Concentrate, or other equally gentle and high quality soap. Do not use Simple Green, Orpine or any other harsh cleaner – no detergents – they will dull the surface. Apply the soapy water to the clear vinyl section of the curtain with special purpose washing mitt or soft cotton cloths. Thoroughly rinse the soapy solution with fresh water and completely dry the curtains with a high quality chamois. (Swobbit.com makes several tools to make these tasks easier.) Your clear vinyl curtains should be washed whenever your boat is washed. After washing the curtains, apply IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish sparingly with small, light circular motions using a soft cotton cloth. Allow the polish to dry and then remove with a clean soft cotton cloth. Finally, lightly buff to a sparkling shine. Done. For routine maintenance between polishing, use IMAR Strataglass Protective Cleaner. Insure the clear vinyl panels are free of abrasives. Very lightly mist a soft cotton cloth. Lightly and briskly rub a manageable sized area and then lightly buff dry with another clean cloth. Done. We recommend using IMAR Strataglass Cleaner at least weekly but it’s so fast and easy you may want to do it daily. You’ll love the shine.
Restoring: We once recommended a restoration process but extensive experience shows actual damage cannot truly be repaired. If IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish cannot restore the clarity and shine, it may be time to consider replacing the enclosures. Please… Please…use our recommended procedures and products from the beginning.
Trouble Shooting: Please see our “tips for the fabricator” and our “trouble shooting” sections on our web site for a complete discussion.